Thursday, March 1, 2012

a little about me

Since we all like to know about the person whose writing we're reading, I'm going to use this post to tell you a little bit about myself. In less than a month I’ll embark on an endless journey to make my mark in advertising, but for now, I’m enjoying my final days in college by making as many interminable memories and impressions that hopefully won’t be interminable to my psyche. I live and breathe:

Advertising - I always remind myself how fortunate I am to have discovered my calling. Since senior year of high school, I had been taking on jobs and internships at companies ranging from American Apparel to my dentist’s office. And by sophomore year of college, I had accepted that I was going to have to deal with being passionless. But everything changed that summer when I was introduced to the world of advertising by a stroke of luck internship I acquired. Anyone who’s in advertising will tell you it’s not nearly as glamorous as Mad Men makes it look. It’s long hours, mediocre pay, and often heartbreakingly fierce competition. But in turn you get to work in an environment that is progressive, entrepreneurial, and inspired where you’re surrounded by the most creative minds in the workforce. In short, there’s no looking back for me. If you can’t be bothered with my love affair with advertising, then I’m not your copy. 

Reading & Writing - I’m generally a fan of non-fiction and the works of Vonnegut, Dostoevsky, Murakami, and Klosterman. But honestly, I don’t read nearly as much as I’d like to. Here are a few books that have been on my summer reading list since, well, summer: Full Dark, No Stars, A Visit from the Goon Squad, Everyone Worth Knowing, A Picture of Dorian Grey, and You Remind Me of Spam. If you must know, I enthusiastically purchased all of the aforementioned. That might be a pretty defining characteristic; I’m regrettably whimsical. Oh, and that last title is actually one of the prospective names for the future bestseller I hope to pen.

Food - I plan my day around food. As pathetic as that sounds, I’m not ashamed. There’s so many reasons to love food and it’s only brought perpetual contentment to my life so I won’t turn my back on it. And I mean that quite literally; I’ve never lasted more than a day on a diet. Cooking has always played a big role in my life because it’s a way for me to bring joy to the ones I care about, not to mention to satiate my visceral, gluttonous tendencies. I can’t really tell if I’m a good cook or not, ‘cause you never know when your friends and family are just trying to be nice. So my general rule of thumb is if they’re going back for thirds, I’ve succeeded. 

I don’t know where I’ll be or what I’ll be doing in 10 years, 10 months, or even 10 days, but that’s the beauty of this moment in my life. As I work toward my goals, I’ll try everything once, live with reckless care, and realize the boundless opportunities around me ‘cause after all, as the great Jack Kerouac once said: “Happiness consists in realizing it is all a great strange dream.”

No comments:

Post a Comment